Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Changing of the Guard - Masonicare to Friends of the Valley Railroad Part 3

Part 3 - Finding New "Friends"


Many years ago back when I was living with my Nana and Papa another fun summer trip we would occasionally go to was a local tourist railroad located in Essex, CT. The Connecticut Valley Railroad or known today as The Essex Steam Train and Riverboat. Essex has always been a favorite place for me, my little brother (when he was younger) and my Nana and Papa. There is a bit of magic in that railroad that just makes me feel relaxed and happy. I think a major part of  it is that connection to my Nana and Papa. This picture sums it up better than anything I could ever write.


Anyways as I said in my last post I was looking for something the fill the hole left after having to take a step back from my volunteering days at the Train Room. I had always seen advertisements and signs for the volunteer group at Essex but I never had the time or means of getting there to really inquire about it until now. So during the last months of my college life I sent an email to the group asking how do I join or at least get more information about the groups goals and work. I as invited to come down to the engine house at Essex on a Wednesday night. I thought it was just going to be a introduction and tour of the shop and maybe a interview like process to see if I was able to join. Well I had my tour and introductions for about the first hour and for the next two I was under one of the dining cars helping them fix the wheels. I knew then I had found what would become my new group and my new friends.



Over a year now we come to today where I have helped the railroad out in almost every thing they have to offer. I have worked on passenger and freight cars, track work, steam and diesel engines, etc. It has been an amazing experience and I am so grateful to everyone that I have met there and all of the advice they have given me. It has become like a second home to me and is something that I hope to be apart of for years to come. During this blog you will probably see me mention the friends a lot as they have also been a major inspiration for a lot of modeling projects I am going to try my hand at. And if you are interested in learning more about the FVRR and what we do check out these links below. The Friends are always welcoming new faces; come down and see us at the station and give us a hand in the shop. I hope to see you along the valley line.



Friends of the Valley Website - The Friend's Website with Sign up information
Essex Steam Train Website - Come for a ride on the Train and Boat
I Like the Valley Railroad - Facebook group with photos and history of the Valley line
FVRR Facebook Page - Updates and pictures from our shop nights

No comments:

Post a Comment