Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Recreating the old favorite, The "Gon"

While things are still chugging on the 0901 project, which is currently in printing trials. Find out more about it on my Facebook Discussion Page. I needed to find a way to fill the time while I waited 10 hours for one test print. I thought about writing more articles for the VRR history project that I have been working on, but I have been writing all day for work.

I wanted to do something more fun something more to do with modeling trains. Well a breakthrough in this history project provided a bit of inspiration to bring some love back to a old VRR favorite.

If you have visited the VRR in the past few years you will have to pass by our freight train display on track 8. The FVRR tank engine, #2, is currently at the front but the car I'm referring too is just behind it. This wooden side gondola is a EX-Lehigh and New England Railroad veterain that was once apart of the VRR's daily coach train. Believe it or not it was the VRR's first open car!!


I never got the chance to ride in it while it was on the train but I have heard many happy stories of people that did. Part of me always wanted to get a model of this car but because of it being, like most things here, an oddball there wasn't many on the market. 

I was on the fence about building one from scratch but I had no measurement and access to the car as I am staying home because of the Virus.

I was lucky to find a Facebook group about the L&NERR and they were able to help me find the copies of the cars diagrams.  I will not post them here for copyright reasons but believe me the model is being drawn now to the drawings standards.

More progress to come but here us a preview!!



No comments:

Post a Comment